12/22/08

Day 1 - The drive from Anchorage to Kenai, with a brief stop at Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (and a charging caribou...yikes!)


Hi Everyone! Happy Solstice, is what the lady at the coffee shop shack along the road told us this afternoon.  
We stopped along the way at Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, where many animals can be seen.  (The bears are already hibernating, though.)  The animals are behind a wire fence, and we first saw a lounging couple of moose.  Later, we walked over to the herd of caribou, where I saw some sweet little ones all eating.  I was standing nearby the fence after taking pictures, when a huge male with big antlers all of a sudden began charging at me!  I turned to run away from the fence and tripped on a pile of snow, completely falling down in the snow.  We both laughed hysterically.
The scenery is gorgeous - I am fascinated by this beautiful winter wonderland.  See all Day 1 pictures below...

No comments: